We’re looking for an ordained person to join our lay, clergy and LLM staff and volunteer team.
We are more interested in the right person to develop ministry than matching the
exact fit to the role we have scoped out.
- Develop mentoring of current and future preachers and leaders and discipleship training with people
noted as having potential
- Oversee small groups ministry by working with staff and volunteers in this area
- Live in a provided house in the heart of Hambledon and develop worship with this church and village community
You and your colleagues will minister together in a close team from a modern office and church centre facility opening in May 2018.
We are praying for someone called by God, who loves Jesus, holds the Bible as God’s revealed Truth and is open to the renewing work of Holy Spirit.
The characteristics we are looking for:
- As an evangelical you’ll have an evangelising and discipleship heart with a strong belief in discipleship
for growth in Christian faith
- Approachable with a pastoral heart and able to attract people to Christ
- Able preacher of the Word of God
- A person of prayer with conviction in Jesus at the heart of your faith leading you to being a person known
to hold a positive outlook and a collegial approach to ministry which builds people up, affirms and
values the gifts others offer
- Have a quiet inner confidence and knowledge of who you are, meaning that you are secure in your humility and exercising shared leadership
Having read the profile we would ask you to pray whether you could be God’s person to be joining us in the summer or autumn of 2018. We are praying for you too.
If you would like an informal conversation or would like to make a brief visit please call Rev Simon Taylor on 01483 421267 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is Tuesday 17th April 2018. Applications need to be returned to Rev Simon Taylor, Busbridge and Hambledon Church Office, Brighton Road, Godalming, Surrey, GU7 1XA and marked ‘confidential’. They may be emailed to email@example.com
Those shortlisted will be invited for interview on Tuesday 24th April 2018.
Busbridge&Hambledon Church takes its safeguarding responsibilities seriously. The post will be offered subject to enhanced DBS and safer recruiting is part of the application process. The Associate Minister post is offered for an initial period of six years; at which point the Benefice is able to request renewal of post.
This role has a Genuine Occupational Requirement under The Equality Act 2010, Schedule 9, Part 1, an ethos based on religion or belief. The role has been assessed as being one in which the person is a visible and known representative of the Church of England, its beliefs and values; will be engaged in the Christian ministry of prayer, healing, reconciliation, as well as discipleship; and will engage in Christian worship, prayer and Bible study.
You will reflect through attitude and action both the presence of the Spirit and the beliefs of the Christian church within the working environment and life of the Church. You will adhere to evangelicalism according to the definition held by the Evangelical Alliance and the Church of England Evangelical Council.
What you’ll want to know about Hambledon...
About Hambledon Congregations...
Each congregation across the Benefice has an active lay leadership team and the congregations include volunteer clergy (OLM, NSM or retired) and LLMs. There are two main congregations in Hambledon.
Hambledon 9.00am Heritage (BCP) caters for 20-30 people and is a growing congregation. Robes with preaching scarf are worn. It is a close community, open to change, full of the love and joy of Christ. Singing is undertaken with gusto! There is an unusually high degree of lay involvement in what may be perceived as a ‘traditional’ service.
Hambledon 10.30am Contemporary is relaxed with worship led by gifted musicians on the guitar or piano. There are 20-30 worshippers, including children. Messy Church is held bi-monthly either in the church, the local nursery school or village hall and regularly attracts around 30 children.
The congregations sometimes meet in other places in the village, for example, at Christmas we hold a unique, packed carols-in-the-pub event in The Merry Harriers. All congregations of BHC gather on the village green for a biennial marquee service.
About Hambledon people...
We have invested in a part time children’s worker position which is dedicated to Hambledon. The post sits within the wider children and youth team of the Benefice but has a remit to specifically develop ministry in Hambledon through working with the Associate Minister. Our previous post-holder has recently moved away due to family commitments. We are committed to filling this post once the Associate Minister has arrived.
At Hambledon the Rev David Jenkins is an OLM who primarily oversees the Heritage congregation and has a visible presence in the village; for example, David is a church trustee of the village almshouses. In the week David is a full time businessman. David Hodson has completed the Diocesan Occasional Preachers course. Pastoral care for Hambledon is overseen by our Diocesan trained Pastoral Assistant, Jacqui Rook.
About Hambledon Opportunities...
We long to grow in expectancy in God. We want increasingly to let God lead us, rather than doing it ourselves. We know this means regularly reviewing our activities to see if they are effective. We are sure it will mean becoming bolder in using the gifts God has given us and giving more of ourselves to His service, particularly in these areas:
- There are many families in the village we still need to reach and the church age profile is currently higher than the average for the area
- To continue to be involved fully in the life of the village and build on the relationships that have been forged with the schools, pub, village shop and village sports teams
- To be open to reviewing our worship, so that we are best placed to meet the needs of our community and reach the next generation. Provision of musicians at the later service has been more of an issue recently